For many years, our company has been committed to a sustainability-orientated philosophy with highest quality. Ecological, economic and social. We are the first company in the pet food industry to be certified by the TÜV Rheinland according to the ZNU standard of sustainable management*. This certification makes our sustainability activities measurable and we lay the foundation for a more sustainable corporate management.
- Step by step we are moving towards a more sustainable company. We therefore attach great importance to raising the awareness all company employees about the sustainability competencies. We support the internal feedback culture and values by regular sustainability checks and employee training.
- Our intensive cooperation with the ZNU (Centre for Sustainable Corporate Management) and its partners along the value chain, actively promotes the ability to further develop and implement sustainability topics and skills.
- In March 2019, we received the certification of our sustainability management according to the ZNU standard and will have it checked and confirmed in annual audits. This helps us to set goals, plan measures and thus continuously develop on the basis of ecological, economic and social aspects.
- We are as good as our employees. Qualified and committed employees have made MERA's success possible. We treat each other as equals regardless of the company hierarchy. As a “bestially” good employer and training company, we create sustainable values through a secure work place with future prospects, a positive corporate culture, further training measures, occupational health management and value-oriented ways of behaving.
- For many years, we have been successfully pursuing a systematic energy management according to the DIN ISO EN 50001 standard, are already excellently positioned thanks to our ultra-modern production facilities. MERA has set itself the goal of continuing to reduce the energy consumption at the production site over the coming years. A continual monitoring as well as regular documentation are carried out during the annual auditing by the TÜV Nord-Cert.
- We produce our products from a dedication to 100% green electricity. At our production site Kevelaer (Lower Rhine), the production facilities for dog and cat feed as well as baked good consume significant amounts of gas and electricity. The discussion on sustainability shows that we all need to treat our environment more responsibly. We support this over the long-term with this measure, among others. With a heightened awareness for the responsibility towards our environment, we are always searching for alternative solutions. Therefore, our emissions are naturally filtered through an advanced and environmentally-friendly bio-bed.
- Climate change is constantly advancing. The predicted climate effects have ecological as well as economic and social consequences. Our action is required here. That is why it is our long-term goal to produce CO2 neutral by 2021 at the latest, using suitable measures that have yet to be defined.
- MERA is an independent family business in the Lower Rhine in its third generation. All of our activities are designed to secure and further strengthen long-term independence. The focus is on securing our 150 job here in the Lower Rhine as well as the further development of the company for generations to come.
- The “MERA – The Petfood Family” brand is our obligation and capital. That is why an important component of independence is to promote and develop the strength and distinctiveness. We mindfully and sincerely strengthen the market value in a sustainable way, and unite an attractive appearance with real substance.
- We are aware of our social responsibility and predominantly support regional projects concerning the well-being of our family pets as well as a number of national and international projects in the field of education. Hence, we focus on an educational project at the international level (pro dogbo in West Africa). Regionally, we will actively cooperate with up to three universities each year.
- For MERA, mindfulness is a tradition. Therefore we invest the cultivation of a mindfulness practice in everyday life and work.
In line with the motto “reduce stress, increase well-being”, we provide our valuable employees with the chance to participate in professional mindfulness courses in order to avoid stress-induced everyday illnesses.
- We are continuously working to improve our health management. In the year 2018, we offered our employees the possibility to lease an e-bike, among other things. The newly introduced flexible working time model also contributes towards a better balance between work and family and thus to well-being. By establishing an internal committee consisting of employees from almost all areas, systematic health management is also promoted and further developed here.
- We live and breathe a value-based cooperation. We draw our strength from the constructive and respectful cooperation at all levels and in all areas. Our actions are shaped by respect and appreciation for people, animals and the environment.